The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has released new data highlighting the role of COVID-19 vaccines and boosters in preventing severe illness.
For the month of Dec. 2021, the risk of hospitalization in unvaccinated people as compared to people who had received an initial series of a COVID-19 vaccine was:
- Nine times higher in people ages 12-17
- 12 times higher in people ages 18-49
- 17 times higher in people ages 50-64
- 17 times higher in people ages 65+
For the same time period, the risk of hospitalization in unvaccinated people as compared to those who had received a primary series plus a booster dose was:
- 44 times higher in people ages 50-64
- 49 times higher in people ages 65+
The data are clear: vaccines and boosters protect us from severe COVID-19 illness.
The data come from CDC’s COVID-19-Associated Hospitalization Surveillance Network (COVID-NET), which includes more than 250 hospitals in 14 states, including Oregon.
If you’re looking for a COVID-19 vaccine or booster, check out this list of free high-volume vaccination sites around Oregon.